NEW YORK (AP):So much for a rematch in the Belmont Stakes.Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist won’t run in the final leg of the Triple Crown after developing a fever and having an elevated white blood cell count, trainer Doug O’Neill said Tuesday.”He’s out because of sickness,” O’Neill said.Any thoughts of a second straight Triple Crown were wiped in the Preakness last Saturday when Exaggerator finally defeated Nyquist after four previous losses.A rematch in the Belmont on June 11 would have been the next best thing to a Triple Crown attempt. Last year, American Pharaoh became the first horse in 37 years to sweep the Derby, Preakness and Belmont.”He’s fine, but he’s got an elevated white blood cell count,” O’Neill’s assistant Jack Sisterson said from Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, where Nyquist is recovering. “We just want to do right by him and get him 100 percent.”Nyquist came into the Preakness unbeaten in eight races, including a 1 1/4 length win over Exaggerator in the Derby. Exaggerator turned the tables in the Preakness, winning by 3 1/2 lengths over a sloppy track, with Nyquist finishing third.Now, Exaggerator will take on a bunch of rivals he’s already finished ahead of in the Derby and Preakness, including Preakness runner-up Cherry Wine and Lani, fifth in the Preakness and ninth in the Derby.”We’re sorry that Nyquist cannot compete at the 2016 Belmont Stakes and hope for a speedy recovery and return to the racetrack,” said New York Racing Association president Chris Kay in a statement.
View comments Raptors general manager Bobby Webster said Toronto tried to acquire a pick via trade but was unable to do so.The deal for Carroll also included Torono’s first-round selection, 29th overall, and a second-round pick, 40th overall, that the Raptors acquired from Orlando in exchange for the contractual release of Magic president Jeff Weltman.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownToronto’s other second-round pick, 59th overall, was traded to Phoenix for forward P.J. Tucker in February 2017. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next As Team Lakay success continues, clash between stablemates a possibility MOST READ LATEST STORIES In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town The Toronto Raptors bench watches during the second half of Game 4 of the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs against the Cleveland Cavaliers at Quicken Loans Arena on May 7, 2018 in Cleveland, Ohio. The Cavaliers defeated the Raptors 128-93. Jason Miller/Getty Images/AFPTORONTO — The Toronto Raptors did not make a pick in Thursday night’s NBA draft, having traded a first- and second-round selection to Brooklyn along with forward DeMarre Carroll in July 2017.It’s the third time in team history Toronto has not made a selection. The Raptors were also without a pick in the 2007 draft, and again in 2013.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees
Boxing on the ropes, ducking an Olympic knockout at Asian Games “I will try to achieve an ambitious goal with South Korea, which is to win the Asian Cup and qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup,” Bento said in his first meeting with the media on Thursday in Seoul. “It’s going to be a long project, but I’ll also use this opportunity to take South Korean soccer to the next level.”Bento, who also has experience in Brazil, Greece and China, has a chance to evaluate his players in person when he names his first roster on Monday ahead of two friendly games on home soil. Korea takes on Costa Rica on Sep.7 and then Chile four days later.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“We have so many talented young players, so we should give them an opportunity,” he said. “We’ll have two friendly matches next month, and it’s my opportunity to check the players.”Bento has been busy watching videos of his new team, which exited the 2018 World Cup under Shin Tae-yong at the group stage despite defeating Germany in the final game in Russia. View comments Peza offers relief to ecozone firms Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal MOST READ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award “There are players who competed in the qualifying rounds for the World Cup but didn’t go to Russia,” he said. “I’ll finalize the roster once I review all the players.”South Korea has been drawn with China, the Philippines and Kyrgyzstan in the Asian Cup.“We will be playing opposition that will be defensive and we need to find a way to solve those issues,” Bento said.ADVERTISEMENT DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? FILE – In this Sept. 29, 2016 file photo, then Olympiakos’ coach Paulo Bento holds the ball during the Europa League Group B soccer match between Olympiakos and APOEL at Georgios Karaiskakis stadium in Piraeus port, near Athens. (AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris, File)SEOUL, South Korea— New South Korea coach Paulo Bento wants to bring the Asian Cup back to Seoul for the first time since 1960.The former Portugal and Sporting Lisbon boss was appointed last week to take the Taeguk Warriors to the 2022 World Cup but the 49 year-old first wants continental success in January.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.