Nyquist to miss Belmont Stakes

first_imgNEW YORK (AP):So much for a rematch in the Belmont Stakes.Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist won’t run in the final leg of the Triple Crown after developing a fever and having an elevated white blood cell count, trainer Doug O’Neill said Tuesday.”He’s out because of sickness,” O’Neill said.Any thoughts of a second straight Triple Crown were wiped in the Preakness last Saturday when Exaggerator finally defeated Nyquist after four previous losses.A rematch in the Belmont on June 11 would have been the next best thing to a Triple Crown attempt. Last year, American Pharaoh became the first horse in 37 years to sweep the Derby, Preakness and Belmont.”He’s fine, but he’s got an elevated white blood cell count,” O’Neill’s assistant Jack Sisterson said from Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, where Nyquist is recovering. “We just want to do right by him and get him 100 percent.”Nyquist came into the Preakness unbeaten in eight races, including a 1 1/4 length win over Exaggerator in the Derby. Exaggerator turned the tables in the Preakness, winning by 3 1/2 lengths over a sloppy track, with Nyquist finishing third.Now, Exaggerator will take on a bunch of rivals he’s already finished ahead of in the Derby and Preakness, including Preakness runner-up Cherry Wine and Lani, fifth in the Preakness and ninth in the Derby.”We’re sorry that Nyquist cannot compete at the 2016 Belmont Stakes and hope for a speedy recovery and return to the racetrack,” said New York Racing Association president Chris Kay in a statement.last_img read more

Cray, Beram banner Asiad athletics squad

first_imgFilipino-American speed demon Eric Cray —PHOTO BY RAFFY LERMASprinter Trenten Beram and hurdler Eric Cray have been seeded to the Philippine track and field team bound for the 18th Asian Games in Indonesia.The Southeast Asian Games gold medalists banner the 18-man athletics squad forwarded by the Philippine Athletics Track and Field Association (Patafa) to the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) for approval.ADVERTISEMENT View comments LATEST STORIES Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trialcenter_img Joining them in the Aug. 18 to Sept. 2 meet are former Asian long jump queen Marestella Torres-Sunang, decathlete Aries Toledo, triple jumper Harry Diones, marathoner Mary Joy Tabal and 800-meter specialist Marco Vilog.Patafa secretary general Renato Unso said Beram and Cray earned automatic spots based on their gold- or silver-medal feats in last year’s SEA Games in Malaysia, or records equivalent to fifth overall in Asia.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownBeram is the reigning men’s 200m and 400m champion in the SEA Games while Cray, the record-holder in the men’s 400m hurdles, won his pet event for the third consecutive time in Kuala Lumpur last year.Other athletes recommended by Patafa but must secure clearances from the POC are long jumper Janry Ubas, Jomar Udtohan and Anfernee Lopena in the men’s 4x100m relay, Francis Medina (400m hurdles), Clinton Kingsley Bautista (110m hurdles) and Edgardo Alejan and Michael del Prado in the 4x400m relay. China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Calimag, Batang Gilas unfazed of France and NBA prospect Hayes Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikinalast_img read more

“Lil Man” on trial for killing 2-year-old niece

first_img– Court told child was sodomisedAs the trial against Kevin Rankin who allegedly murdered his two-year-old niece in 2013 continues, the prosecution is expected to present its final two witnesses and close its case today.Rankin, also known as “Lil Man”, is on trial before Justice Priya Sewnarine-Beharry and a 12-member jury for allegedly killing two-year-old Kimani Phillips on October 21, 2013 at Lot 46 Haslington South, East Coast Demerara. The defendant was 15 years old at the time.At the commencement of the trial on Friday last, State Prosecutor Narissa Leander related that on the day in question, the toddler was left in the care of Diane Graham, the defendant’s mother. During the course of the day, the woman reportedly went to conduct some errands, leaving the toddler and Rankin at a neighbouring relative’s house. Leander explained that the prosecution’s case would be built by the circumstantial evidence which would prove that Rankin inflicted the fatal injuries on the child.Graham, the first witness, had testified that on the day in question, she left her son at home for about 20 minutes while she conducted a transaction at MoneyGram.She related that while she was out, she received a phone call which led to her returning home. Upon her arrival at the home, she stated that her son exited a car and told her of her granddaughter’s demise. The woman also alleged that the child was suffering from constipation.On Monday, Kiana Primo, the defendant’s cousin, admitted that she had supplied the Police with an untrue statement when relating the incident. She stated that early that day, she was on the upper flat of the house when she noticed a strange odour, which was later discovered to be as a result of the toddler defecating. She stated that she ordered Rankin to clean the child up while she continued her chores. Sometime later, she recalled that Rankin had rushed to her clad only in a pair of short pants, telling her that the toddler was not breathing. She said upon investigating, she noticed that the child was lying motionless with her eyes and mouth open, and Rankin was nervous. She explained that they then rushed her to the health centre where she was pronounced dead.While under cross-examination by Defence Counsel Sandil Kissoon, Primo confessed that she had told the Police a different version of what occurred. The woman, who was 18 years old at the time, admitted that she told the Police that when she discovered the child on the bed, the toddler was moving her head from side to side. She claimed that she lied because she did not want her cousin to be arrested, but now she wished to clear her conscience and tell the truth.Venice Phillips, the mother of the deceased child and sister of the defendant, also testified in the matter. She explained that she left her two daughters in her mother’s care on the day in question as per normal. She also refuted her mother’s claim that the child was suffering from constipation, saying the child was healthy when she left.State Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh testified that the autopsy performed on the toddler revealed that she had been sodomised. Dr Singh said the cause of death was haemorrhage and shock due to multiple abdominal injuries. He explained that Philips had been “subjected to anal penetration”, which left behind fresh samples of blood. He further related that the child suffered abdominal trauma as a result of anal penetration as well as massive internal injuries to her spleen, liver and anus. He contended that the injuries were caused simultaneously, adding that the toddler suffered injuries on her head and neck and blunt force trauma consistent with being hit, compression or a fall. Dr Singh also revealed that he could not determine by what the child was penetrated.last_img read more

Huge turnout for this year’s Vertical Slam

first_imgThe full results can be found online at https://www.strideandglide.ca/event/results/301-2017-big-bam-verticle-slam-results. TAYLOR, B.C. — Warm, sunny weather meant that this year saw a much greater turnout for the Vertical Slam Ultimate Challenge compared to its inaugural year.The race, which took place on the slopes of the Big Bam Ski Hill this past Saturday, saw over 400 competitors hit the slopes for a 2.3, 5, or 10 kilometre race. This year’s Vertical Slam also saw the first year that organizers included a Fitness Obstacle Course, which was set to have been included in the cancelled version of the event last September.The 10 kilometre race was the first group of racers that started, taking off from the bottom of the hill at 7:30 for two full laps. Miles Bason was Saturday’s fastest racer in the 10k, finishing in 1:18:00. Rachel Kalkman and Amanda Tompkins were the fastest female racers in the 10 k, tying for 2nd place in 1:21:27.- Advertisement -In the 5 k race, Kyle Winters took top spot after completing the single lap of the hill in 43:01. Melvin Jarnagin took 2nd with a time of 44:26, followed by Mitch Sangha who crossed the line nine seconds later. Freyja Jarnagin was the fastest female in the 5 k, taking 5th place with a time of 45:59.In the 2.3 kilometre dash, Lucas and Abby Wuthrich both tied for 1st place, with a time of 10:39. Stella Jarnagin was the lone contestant in 3rd place, finishing in 10:48.In addition to getting the fastest 10 k time, Bason was also the fastest competitor in the Fitness Obstacle Course. He finished in 48:30, ahead of Kurt Malli’s time of 55:56. Liam McGarvey took 3rd place in the obstacle course challenge, with a time of 56:34. Haley Brown was the fastest female competitor in the course, with a time of 1:04:25.Advertisementlast_img read more

Bruins not planning on sharing title

first_imgAlthough a share for the Pac-10 title is already clinched, UCLA has no designs on leaving the state of Washington with only a piece of the crown. Instead, the Bruins want their 29th conference title to be theirs, and only theirs, and will do so with one more win. The first opportunity comes tonight when the second-ranked Bruins visit No. 13 Washington State, which is in second place. “You don’t play to tie,” UCLA junior guard Arron Afflalo said. “You play for the conference title, to win it by yourself.” The Bruins won the title last year by defeating Stanford on the regular season’s final day. A loss to the Cougars would mean UCLA (25-3, 14-2 Pac-10) would either have to win Saturday at Washington, or Washington State (23-5, 12-4) would have to lose to USC. Washington State can claim a share of the title if the Bruins lose both games and the Cougars beat the Trojans. Afflalo and Jordan Farmar were the driving forces behind UCLA’s run to the Final Four last season, but the play of center Ryan Hollins was a key ingredient. PULLMAN, Wash. – UCLA climbed to the top of the Pacific-10 standings and to second in the national rankings by being unselfish, not to mention talented. However, the Bruins do not plan on sharing this weekend. center_img The Muir High School graduate played the best basketball of his career in his final two months, and now junior center Lorenzo Mata wants to have the same type of impact. He is averaging 10.5 points and five rebounds in his last four games. “Hopefully, I can have that type of impact,” Mata said. “I talked to Ryan Hollins (Monday) night. I just have to have confidence and believe.” UCLA already secured the Pac-10’s top seed for next week’s tournament at Staples Center by virtue of a tie-breaker advantage over the Cougars. brian.dohn@dailynews.com (818) 713-3607 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Greenpeace ranks Apple last for green

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AMSTERDAM, Netherlands – Greenpeace International ranked Apple Inc. last in environmental friendliness among major electronics makers, while it praised Lenovo Group Ltd. for bucking trends in China. Greenpeace spokeswoman Iza Kruszewska said Apple has been willing to meet legal requirements and basic standards, but it hasn’t stopped using several types of harmful chemicals in its manufacturing. Apple spokeswoman Sheryl Seitz rejected the environmental group’s ranking system. “Apple has a strong environmental track record and has led the industry in restricting and banning toxic substances such as mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium, as well as many BFRs,” or brominated flame retardants, Seitz said. According to standards developed by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Apple products are not especially toxic. The Green Electronics Council, funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, generally gave Apple better scores than Lenovo and Dell Inc. based on 23 criteria established by the IEEE, including materials used, energy conservation and packaging. Greenpeace’s rankings of 14 computer and mobile-phone makers were based on their use of hazardous chemicals in production and efforts to recycle broken or obsolete devices. Tom van Dyck, whose As You Sow organization promotes socially responsible investing, said Greenpeace’s analysis was generally fair. last_img read more

No talks about replacing Allardyce, insists ex-Hammers favourite

first_img Slaven Bilic 1 Slaven Bilic insists he is not holding talks with his former club West Ham – despite all the uncertainty surrounding the future of Sam Allardyce.Bilic, who became a fans’ favourite during his playing days in east London, has been strongly linked with the managerial post at Upton Park.Allardyce is out of contract at the end of the season and, with the club suffering a nightmare run of form in 2015, there is continued doubt over his long-term future at the Hammers.But Bilic, who is currently in charge of Besiktas in Turkey, says he cannot understand where the rumours are coming from and is adamant he has not held any discussions with the West Ham hierarchy.Bilic, speaking on Turkish website Fanatik, said: “I do not know who keeps spreading the West Ham link but I can tell you I am not in talks with the club.“My future will be decided at the end of the season with Besiktas. I am very pleased with the work I do, and think I do my job well. I have not received an offer from anyone.”Reports in Turkey have even suggested Besiktas are already lining up a replacement for Bilic and have targeted Shakhtar Donetsk coach Mircea Lucescu. But Bilic added: “I do not believe these stories, why would the board be in talks with Mircea Lucescu? It is just ridiculous.”last_img read more

LETTERKENNY MAN ORDAINED TO THE PRIESTHOOD – PICTURE SPECIAL

first_imgBishop Philip Boyce with Fr Gorman and his family following his ordination. All pics by Brian McDaid from the Cristeph Studio.A young Letterkenny man was surrounded by family and friends as he was ordained into the priesthood yesterday.Rev Stephen Gorman, 27, was ordained at St Eunan’s Cathedral by Dr Philip Boyce, Bishop of Raphoe.Fr Martin Chambers bless the newly ordained Fr. Gorman at St Eunans on Sunday. Photo Brian McDaidStephen was accompanied by his mother Monica, brothers Mark, Seamus, Sammy, Patrick and John Paul and sisters Louise and Christina. Stephen’s father Seamus passed away in 2001.Also at yesterday’s ordination was the former Bishop of Raphoe, Seamus Hegarty.Stephen, a former bank official whose family hail from Drumnahoagh, Letterkenny, will celebrate his first mass at the Church of the Irish Martyrs this evening at 7pm.Neighbour John Baird congratulates Fr Gorman following his ordination Photo Brian McDaid  Rev Stephen Gorman with the Bishop of Raphoe, Dr Phillip Boyce. Pic by Brian McDaid. Bishop Seamus Hegarty and Tony Murray following Fr Gorman’s ordination at St. Eunans. LETTERKENNY MAN ORDAINED TO THE PRIESTHOOD – PICTURE SPECIAL was last modified: June 30th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bishop Phillip BoycedonegalFr Stephen Gormanletterkennylast_img read more

‘We can do far worse and he’s no Silvestre!’ – Gooners’ view on Evans rumour

first_img1 West Brom defender Jonny Evans is reportedly being targeted by Arsenal Arsenal are desperate to reinforce their back line and will now reportedly turn to West Brom stopper Jonny Evans.The club’s first choice centre backs Gabriel and Per Mertesacker are setting up camp in the physio room having picked up injuries leaving either 21-year-old Calum Chambers and 20-year-old Rob Holding to partner Laurent Koscielny.However, France defender Koscielny only returned to training on Monday after being given a break following the Euro 2016 final.Understandably Albion don’t want to sell Evans and will reportedly ask for more than £15m, while Arsenal’s other target is Valencia’s Shkodran Mustafi who may cost around £20m.Here’s what some Gooners feel about the latest transfer rumour.last_img read more

‘I DON’T MISS HAVING KIDS’ – DANIEL O’DONNELL

first_imgDaniel O’Donnell has said he has no regrets about not becoming a father.SInger Daniel doesn’t miss being a father.The 52 year old star was 38 when he met wife Majella who was 40 and had two children of her own.But the Kincasslagh-born star says he never worried about not having children of his own. “I don’t know what that would be like but I never had any longing for fatherhood.“I’ve known Siobhan and Michael (Majella’s children) since they were 11 and nine, not that I was parenting them. I was always aware that Raymond was their father,” he told the RTE Guide.Daniel also revealed that he misses his late mum Julia terribly after she passed away in May aged 94.“We miss her greatly because she was such a big character. She was a mother and father to me, because my father died at the age of 49,” he said.  ‘I DON’T MISS HAVING KIDS’ – DANIEL O’DONNELL was last modified: November 18th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnelldonegalKidssingerlast_img read more