Victoria supreme court rejects appeal by two Herald Sun reporters facing imprisonment

first_img February 22, 2021 Find out more August 28, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Victoria supreme court rejects appeal by two Herald Sun reporters facing imprisonment News News RSF_en RSF condemns Facebook’s blocking of journalistic content in Australia Help by sharing this information to go further Follow the news on Australia AustraliaAsia – Pacific November 19, 2020 Find out morecenter_img Organisation Receive email alerts News January 21, 2021 Find out more AustraliaAsia – Pacific Reporters Michael Harvey and Gerard McManus of the Melbourne-based Herald Sun could be imprisoned very soon for contempt of court after judge Elizabeth Hollingworth of the supreme court of the southeastern state of Victoria on 23 August rejected their appeal against a lower court’s order that they name their source for a story about a federal government plan to cut benefits to war veterans._______________________________________________________29.08.05 – Prime minister “respects” position taken by journalists facing imprisonmentPrime Minister John Howard has said he respects the position taken by the Herald Sun’s Canberra correspondents, Gerard McManus and Michael Harvey, who face a prison sentence or a fine for “contempt of court” for refusing to name their sources for a story about government policy when they appeared before a Melbourne district court on 23 August.”I know them, I respect them and I know they are behaving according to the code of ethics of their profession, and I respect them for that,” Howard said on 26 August, adding that it was nonetheless necessary to ensure the confidentiality of government discussions._______________________________________________________24.08.2005Two journalists refuse to reveal their source to Melbourne judgeGerard McManus and Michael Harvey, Canberra correspondents of the Melbourne-based daily, the Herald Sun, appeared before a Melbourne district court yesterday and refused to name their source for a 20 February story about a government project on the grounds that it would violate their professional ethics. They will probably be charged with contempt of court in the next few days, and will as a result face a prison sentence or a fine. They are due to appear in court again in early September._____________________________________________________________________________19.08.2005Two journalists summoned to reveal sourcesReporters Without Borders is alarmed that witness summonses have been issued against journalists Michael Harvey and Gerard McManus compelling them to appear before a court in Melbourne on 23 August where the two, of the daily Herald Sun in Canberra, will be asked under threat of legal penalty if the defendant is one of their sources.The two journalists disclosed in a 20 February 2005 article a government plan not to pay war veterans 500 million dollars they had been promised in supplementary benefits. After the article appeared, both men were summoned as witnesses to the trial of government official Desmond Patrick Kelly, who is charged with leaking the information.”Reporters Without Borders believes that this judicial step is damaging to the principle of the protection of sources. Forcing journalists to reveal this kind of information would constitute an extremely dangerous precedent for press freedom in the country”.”The Australian justice system has to understand that, without the protection of sources guaranteed to journalists before the courts, nobody in possession of sensitive information would any longer dare to make it available,” the organisation said.The two told Reporters Without Borders that they had no intention of giving way to the court’s demand. McManus, who has already been brought before a preliminary hearing, refused to reply to the judge when he asked him if he knew Kelly.Harvey and McManus both face prison. News On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia Google experiments drop Australian media from search resultslast_img read more

Husband of Limerick Euromillions winner Dolores McNamara dies surrounded by family…

first_imgLimerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Adrian McNamara (60s), husband of Limerick Euromillions winner Dolores McNamara, who passed away this morning following an illness.Photo source: R.I.P.ieTHE husband of Limerick euromillions winner Dolores McNamara has died.Adrian McNamara, who was in his late 60s and a bricklayer by trade, passed away following an illness this morning.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up He died peacefully and surrounded by his family, at his son Lee’s home in Killaloe, Co Clare.Mr McNamara along with his wife, who won a €115m Euromillions jackpot in 2005 after purchasing a €2 Quickpick ticket, had lived together at Lough Derg Hall, a vast property and estate in Ogonnolloe, overlooking Lough Derg.Ms McNamara purchased the 10,000 sq ft hill-top property for €1.75m in 2005, after it had reportedly attracted the interest of Hollywood actor Robert De Niro.The lavish country manor, boasting amazing lakeside views, at the end of a half-mile long private entrance, fronted by electric gates and an eight-foot high wall, is set on 38 acres, including a coach house.The high-end property is a far cry from the modest 1,200 sq ft semi-detached family home Adrian and Dolores raised their six children in on the Patrick’s Road, Limerick.Friends said the couple’s windfall however, did not change them, particularly Mr McNamara who, besides investing in a number of racehorses and a Spanish holiday home, had maintained a low profile, a source said.The couple had owned a holiday home in Turkey prior to Ms McNamara’s massive lottery win which occurred when Mr McNamara was recovering from heart bypass surgery.“Adrian was a lovely fella, he was always very decent, and he didn’t let the money change him,” said an informed source.“He had a few horses and he lived in a big house in Killaloe but he kept away from the limelight. He was always a hard worker,” they added.In the first few years after Ms McNamara’s jackpot win, the couple had to invest in 24/7 security at their home, because of concerns of potential kidnap plots against them and members of their family.Dolores’s brother-in-law, Martin Anthony McCarthy, 50s, tragically died in a fire at his home in Limerick city in 2009.Adrian McNamara is survived by his wife Dolores; the couples three sons Gary, Dean, Lee, and three daughters Dawn, Kim and Kevanne, and nine grandchildren.Mr McNamara’s funeral will be held in accordance with current Government COVID-19 restrictions and HSE guidelines on public gatherings, at St Flannan’s Church, Killaloe, at 12 midday, on Saturday, April 24.Mr McNamara will be laid to rest afterwards near the shores of Lough Derg at New Cemetery, Ogonnelloe. Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR LimerickNewsHusband of Limerick Euromillions winner Dolores McNamara dies surrounded by family after suffering illnessBy David Raleigh – April 23, 2021 1784 Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Printcenter_img Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Linkedin Twitter Email TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post WhatsApp Advertisement Previous articleLimerick teens tackling major social issues through new TY programmeNext articleLimerick customers to benefit from extension of Irish Water’s First Fix free scheme to tackle leaks David Raleigh last_img read more

Governor addresses permit reform at weekly press conference

first_imgWith several representatives for various building, construction and realty organizations present, Governor Jim Douglas (during his weekly press conference yesterday) called for enhanced efforts to help build the economy and grow Vermont jobs by embracing his proposed Economic Growth Plan. One of the critical components of the plan is permit reform.”It is critical for us to get to work building the economy and growing jobs, said Governor Douglas. But we can t do that in our current environment we are going to have to change how we allow business to work in our state. We need to be more welcoming to those who want to grow in our state, he said.Also speaking were Chris Snyder, from Snyder Home Construction, and Santo Longo, an Attorney from Paul, Frank and Collins. The group discussed the many challenges that Vermonters face when applying for building and construction permits, including high costs, uncertainty and very long delays.###last_img read more